Home Forums Movies 2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 5)

2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 541 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Lil Tony
willd
Luca Giliberti
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the Best Actress discussion here in Part 5.

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Widows  (as expected) is not doing too well in BO. I don’t think it means too much when it comes to awards, but I really need to consider taking Davis out of the 5. It makes me really sad that a big studio tries doing movies like it and then no one goes to watch it.</p>

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Widows  (as expected) is not doing too well in BO. I don’t think it means too much when it comes to awards, but I really need to consider taking Davis out of the 5. It makes me really sad that a big studio tries doing movies like it and then no one goes to watch it.

I don’t think the BO effects Viola’s chances that much but the movie is out of the question in BP and BD races. Maybe even Screenplay nomination is out of the question and I doubt Debicki and/or Kaluuya gets in.

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the BO effects Viola’s chances that much but the movie is out of the question in BP and BD races. Maybe even Screenplay nomination is out of the question and I doubt Debicki and/or Kaluuya gets in.

Interesting. I still think it can make Picture and maybe screenplay. Picture only if they have 10 nominees though.

I guess it’s too early to tell. Let’s see what the Globes do first.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

The trailer for Widows was very weak. It did not sell the movie. The trailer made Widows look very familiar. It will more than likely be a streaming hit when it hit when it hit Amazon or Netflix.

I only know about the film’s good reviews by searching. The reviews should have made been the talk of the interviews. All I remember is on multiple occasions Viola saying that the role would have gone to a white actress. That is NOT how you promote a movie. The trailer for Destroyer was made Widows look like a streaming TV series.

I removed Davis for now. Word of mouth could travel and keep the film afloat.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think viola misses the nomination but it’s not gonna be easy for her. I do believe out of McCarthy Ronan kidman and Colette Davis is the standout in terms of the overall movies performance. But at the end of the day if viola misses the Oscar nom Atleast she’ll get nominated and win her Grammy this year for her audiobook and finish egot. Also I didn’t see glenn close happening but she’s gonna win. Just kinda sucks because it looks like she’ll sweep which is always boring.

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweeps are boring.

SN
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the disappointing box office results affect more Widows than Viola herself. It can be another Gone Girl at the end.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweeps are boring.

It’s hard to process that the last time something remotely close to a surprise in this category happened was Streep in TIL.

mckenzie
    Participant
    Topics:

Apart from 2011 was 2002 the last time BA was genuinely considered a toss up?

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Apart from 2011 was 2002 the last time BA was genuinely considered a toss up?

There was also Christie vs. Cotillard.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s hard to process that the last time something remotely close to a surprise in this category happened was Streep in TIL.

2013 wasn’t bad at all even though the Oscar went to the weakest contender. 2017 was a bit okay too. Portman took CC and missed GG. Emma Stone took everything else. 2018 remains the worst though. All four categories swept. BAFTA need to go back to their old ways of not necessarily predicting the Oscar

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Lil Tony.

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say Cotillard was the last surprise in this category. I knew Davis was not winning for The Help.

This is the most excited award to discuss, but the outcome is always boring (not the winners).

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweeps are boring.

They are when you dislike the nominee sweeping.

MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

The Brie Larson year was the most boring. McDormand at least gave entertaining speeches, Larson was always so bland and by the book, it annoys me just thinking about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 541 total)

The topic ‘2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.